Thursday, 24 January 2008
POOR EPICURE’S PUDDING
• 1 pint of milk
• A stick of cinnamon (4 inches long)
• 12 blanched and sliced almonds
• The thin rind of 1 lemon
• Sugar to taste
• 3 eggs
• Allinson wholemeal bread
• 2 oz. of butter
1. Boil the milk with sugar, cinnamon, and almonds; remove the cinnamon, let the milk cool a little, and then add carefully the eggs well beaten.
2. Pour the mixture into a wide rather shallow pie-dish.
3. Butter slices of bread on both sides, and cover the pie-dish with these; the bread should be free from crust, and entirely cover the milk.
4. Bake in a moderate oven for about 45 minutes.
This recipe is taken from Dr Thomas Allinson controversial but popular Medical Essays.